From the tip of Phuket to the heart of the Golden Triangle, if there’s one thing you’re guaranteed to see in every city, town, village and hamlet in Thailand, it’s street dogs.
Due to an overbreeding problem and a dearth of neutering practices, Thailand’s population of street dogs grows at an alarming rate every year with seemingly no let-up. Although the Thai people are well known for keeping local stray dogs well fed, these pups are still vulnerable to disease, injuries from other dogs and traffic accidents, and a lack of a loving home.
Although many of Thailand’s soi dogs are seemingly docile and tame, with soulful brown eyes and an endearingly scruffy exterior, always remember to take care around them, particularly in their territory. A life on the streets and a survival of the fittest mentality means that they can be aggressive, while some also carry diseases, like Rabies, that can be transmitted to humans.
The best way to help Thailand’s street dogs is to donate and volunteer at charities dedicated to their welfare. These organisations feed the dogs, provide and pay for necessary medication and veterinary needs, and even arrange adoptions. Two of the best known are Thai Street Paws Rescue down in Songkhla and the Soi Dog Foundation in Phuket.
Here’s a compilation of some of the most poignant photos of Thailand’s street dogs.
1. ‘Stray Dog, Hat Rin’
2. ‘Thailand: Precious Baby’
3. Temple dog in Koh Phangan
4. ‘Amazing Thailand’ – Bang Bat, Bangkok
5. ‘Phuket Street Pup’
6. ‘Feeding’ in Bangkok
7. ‘Thai Dogs’
8. ‘Dog, Chiang Rai’
9. ‘Temple Dog’ in Wat Phra That Doi Suthep
10. Stray dog in Thailand
11. ‘Amazing Thailand’ in Bang Bat, Bangkok
12. ‘Amazing Thailand’ in Sanam Luang, Bangkok
13. ‘Adorable Street Puppy in Chiang Mai’
14. ‘Dog’ in Bangkok
15. ‘Dog Begging’ in Ubon Ratchathani Station
16. ‘Monster vs. Street Dog’ in Chiang Mai
17. Dog and kittens in Nonthaburi
18. ‘Carlita Lying Down’ in Bangkok
19. ‘Chewbacca’ in Ban Khao Hin Dat
20. ‘Near Khaosan Road’ in Bangkok
21. ‘Dog in Bangkok’
22. In Prathunam, Bangkok
23. Stray dog in the temple, in Bangkok
24. ‘Pepsi’ in Koh Samui
25. Stray dog in Bangkok
26. Stray dogs in the temple in Bangkok
27. ‘Stray Dog, Bangkok’
28. ‘Flexy Doggy in Samui’ in Koh Samui
29. ‘Soi Dog’ in Rayong
30. ‘The Doggone Line’
Take a look at our profile on the rescuer in charge of Thai Street Paws and the work she does every day to give these dogs a better life.